Carbon monoxide poisoning on a sports cruiser moored at Port Hamble Marina, England, with the loss of two lives.
Today, the MAIB have published the accident investigation report into the double fatality on board the privately owned sports cruiser Emma Louise on 11 January 2022, highlighting the need for further work to raise awareness among pleasure craft users about the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO).
Chief Inspector of Marine Accidents, Andrew Moll OBE, said:
The accident onboard Emma Louise serves as another dreadful reminder of the danger posed by carbon monoxide and the speed at which damage to health and collapse can occur. With no CO detector fitted the two men were unaware of the danger and were tragically overcome within minutes of starting the cruiser’s engine.
CO is colourless, tasteless and odourless and difficult for people to detect. It is essential that CO alarms are fitted in areas where carbon monoxide can accumulate such as the cabins and cockpits of motor cruisers. Never ignore the smell of exhaust fumes in any enclosed space. Boat users are once again reminded of the three simple but life saving measures that will help you to stay CO safe: install and maintain equipment properly; fit CO alarms and test them regularly; and always ensure there is adequate ventilation in the cabin.
General Safety Flyer – https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/safety-lessons-be-alert-to-carbon-monoxide-accumulating-on-your-boat