As part of a significant investment in VTS services we are building a new world class VTS centre at Gravesend designed to meet the future demands of growth on the river as we realise the Thames Vision.
This has created the need for 6 new Watch Manager positions responsible for leading and supervising a team of VTS Officers and the delivery of VTS services across the whole river.
Who we are:
The Port of London Authority is the statutory harbour authority for the tidal Thames and responsible for 95 miles of the River Thames from the Estuary to Teddington Lock in West London. We work to keep river users safe, protect and enhance the environment and promote the use of the river for trade and travel.
What we are looking for:
This is an operational management position and applicants will need to demonstrate they can lead, motivate and manage a team in a pressurised environment through what will be significant change to our current operation.
Excellent communication and decision-making skills are essential.
This role would be suitable for an experienced VTS Officer, ideally with management experience, or an experienced Mariner with a senior STCW certificate having served as Chief Officer or above.
- Department: Chief Harbour Master’s Department
- Reporting to: VTS Manager
- Grade: 5
- Salary: starting at approx. £66,000 per annum inclusive of allowances
- Base: Gravesend
- Closing date: Applications will close once all positions are filled
- Interview date: Interviews are planned to be held in September and will consist of an initial interview followed by an assessment for those shortlisted.
- Reference Number: 8
- 28 days annual leave or equivalent
- Medical Cash Plan (Westfield Health)
- Generous pension
- Onsite parking with electric charging
- Access to Occupational Health, Mindfulness, Counselling and Physiotherapy
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Access to MyGymDiscounts
For further information or if you would like to have an informal discussion about the position, please contact Simon Phillips, Harbour Master (SMS&VTS) or Tony Guy, VTS Operations Manager.
The vacancy will remain open until all positions are filled.
To apply, please complete the application form, including the reference number stated above.
A comprehensive Job Description is available by clicking on the View/Download Document link below.
You are required to have a Right to Work in UK, as currently the PLA is not a sponsor employer, therefore an offer of employment cannot be made unless you currently hold the rights to live and work in the UK.
Attached file: View/Download document